Thursday, November 24, 2011

This is where it all begins. Everything starts here, today.

I just finished what has the potential to be one of the greatest books I have ever read. I did something that I don't usually do with this book: I saw the movie before reading the novel. I saw the movie because I love Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess, but I read the book because the movie really affected me.

There are few books that can still be enjoyed after seeing the movie beforehand. There are few books that contain both literary value and a compelling plot. There are few books that can tear you apart at the climax, yet fill you with so much satisfaction at its close. There are few books that you simply refuse to put down because you can hardly contain yourself from finishing, yet you still feel sad when you finally turn that final page. One Day by David Nicholls is one such book.

This book reminded me of why I am an English major; why I study literature and not medicine or pharmacy or engeineering. I am a lover of the written word. I am in love with the smell of coffee and books and Barnes and Noble, with the way words look when I see them on a page, with the way they sound when they roll off my tongue, with the gorgeous arrangement they make when they are strung together into a sentence. Like popcorn on a Christmas tree.

Read this book. See this movie. You won't regret it. 

She began walking again towards the Mound. 'Live each day as if it's your last', that was the conventional advice, but really, who had the energy for that? What if it rained or you felt a bit glandy? It just wasn't practical. Better by far to simply try and be good and courageous and bold and to make a difference. Not to change the world exactly, but the bit around you. Go out there with your passion and your electric typewriter and work hard at... something. Change lives through art maybe. Cherish your friends, stay true to your principles, live passionately and fully and well. Experience new things. Love and be loved in return. 


No comments:

Post a Comment