Monday, March 21, 2011

Hola y'all.

Well, if you were wanting to know about my spring break, the title of this post pretty much wraps it up. Speaking in broken Spanish with a southern accent has never been more fun.

But in all seriousness, this past week was the greatest of my life. I spent my spring break in Cedro Galan, Nicaragua for the third year in a row, and I had my life changed. 

Now, I don't want to bore you with endless stories and inside jokes that won't amuse you via blog, but I do want to tell you a few things in hopes of inspiring you to go on a missions trip of your own. And if your trip is with Briarwood High School to the Monte Hermon School in Cedro Galan, Nicaragua, then more power to you. Cause that place is truly idyllic.


In a nutshell: Although we have a children's ministry, a sports clinic, and a construction team throughout the week, our trip is mostly considered to be a medical mission. We had a medical clinic with three doctors, an eye clinic, and a pharmacy (in past years, we've also had a dental clinic).

Honestly, what touched me most about this trip was the ability of the Nicaraguans to praise God through every circumstance. Since this was my third year to go to Nicaragua, this was no surprise to me, but for some reason it just seemed especially evident this year. I don't know if it was the fact that I was able to speak more spanish than usual or what, but something about the people touched me in a different place this year than in the past.

Another thing I want to point out is the ignorance of today's Christian society. This is basically just a reiteration of what I said a couple of weeks ago about missions week, but I want to say it just one more time. I would encourage all of my blog readers, regardless of whether or not they are Christians, to visit a third world country, even if it's not on a missions trip. It is truly eye-opening. You all know the phrase "Ignorance is bliss." I've never heard a truer phrase. Because, guess what guys, the world is a much better place when we are oblivious to what is happening in it. But we are not called to be ignorant people.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. If you want to know more about the trip, please PLEASE please ask me more about it. I hunger to tell people about my experiences in Nicaragua. Seriously. I have so much to tell. 

Thus concludes yet another soap box by Clumsy Kim.


“Let the children come to me; do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God. Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it.”


Ring around the rosie - Nicaraguan style.

 "Therefore with joy shall ye draw water out of the wells of salvation."




"And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him."




"A city on a hill cannot be hidden."



"And He will wipe away every tear from their eyes."


Our cinematic welcome to Monte Hermon.

Goodbye, goodnight, adios, buenos noches. It's all the same to me.

Clumsy Kim.

No comments:

Post a Comment