Tuesday, April 5, 2011

A Thousand Splendid Springs

Wow. Y'all should congratulate me. I have successfully completely one of the busiest weeks of my life. Just making it through last week is an accomplishment in itself, regardless of all the tests I may have failed.

I'm not going to go into every reason for why I was MIA last week, but 99.9% of the reason is because of The King and I, Briarwood's spring musical. If you didn't get a chance to see it, let me know and I'll hook you up with a video. Cause the play was ballin, beast, legit, etc etc etc.

So, with all of my excuses and apologies out of the way, let's move on to something a little more exciting. Like spring!

Spring is probably my favorite season. There is nothing more beautiful to me than spring's first azalea bush blooming in my backyard. Even though these bushes are nothing special to me (they're planted at my school, at my house, at my neighbor's house, etc), there is something spectacular and encouraging about the very first bud, begging to be fed by the sunlight.

And now that I've shown you my embarrassing poetic creative writing side, here's something else that I've been wanting to talk about: A Thousand Splendid Suns.

A thousand splendid props to Holly for suggesting this book (Witty, right?). I read The Kite Runner in the fall, and, while it ended with the tiniest glimmer of hope, it was almost too depressing. A Thousand Splendid Suns, which I read over spring break, is not only easier to relate to, but it ends with a bright light at the end of the tunnel, hinting at the hope of a better world. And Lord knows I love happy endings.

Now, the difficulty level. I feel like lots of people judge me because Splendid Suns is not quite as literary as the novels that I am expected to enjoy. Don't get me wrong, I love symbolism and all that jazz as much as the next english major-to-be, but sometimes it's nice to just read and not have to worry if the material will be on the AP exam. So all of this goes to say that A Thousand Splendid Suns is an easy read with a compelling plot. I like what I like. And there is nothing wrong with that.

So, bloggerson, I'm back. To stay.
Have a splendid spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment