Sunday, April 17, 2011

Without a song or dance what are we?

I'm nothing special, in fact I'm a bit of a bore
When I tell a joke, you've probably heard it before
But I have a talent, a wonderful thing
cause everyone listens when I start to sing
I'm so grateful and proud
All I want is to sing it out loud

So I say
Thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing
Thanks for all the joy they're bringing
Who can live without it, I ask in all honesty
What would life be?
Without a song or a dance what are we?
So I say thank you for the music
For giving it to me

Thank you, Abba. Couldn't've said it better myself.


Tonight, as I was driving home from my little brother's baseball game (which he won... whoop whoop!) and belting out some of The Script (which I'm still lovin), I started thinking about how boring my car rides would be if I had no radio. Which led to thinking if no cars had radios. Which led to... well you don't really need my exact train of thought, but eventually it led to thinking about what a boring, silent world we would live in without music. Cheesy, I know, but true. 


*Side note* I've realized something in my recent months as a blogger. There is a reason that cheesy sayings are so famous. It's cause they're true. So I hereby pledge to quit apologize for using cliches.


Not only would the world be boring and silent, but I believe that we would become overwhelmed with all of our emotions and just go completely crazy. Seriously, think about it. My greatest moments of catharsis come from singing at the top of my lungs, whether in front of a crowd or in my room. There is no way that I could be emotionally stable without those times of release.


So next time you're rocking out to your favorite music, whether it be the chart-toppers of today or the bouncy pop of the most popular seventies' group, say an extra prayer of thanksgiving for the music. Because, as we all know, "all good and perfect things come from above."


"It is good to praise the Lord and make music to your name, O most High, to proclaim your love in the morning and your faithfulness at night, to the music of the ten-stringed lyre and the melody of the harp. For you make me glad by your deeds, O Lord; I sing for joy at the works of Your hands."
Psalm 92:1

No comments:

Post a Comment