Sunday, January 23, 2011

Honestly, we'll never stop this train.

To begin, I just want to apologize to all of my impatient friends that are so obsessed with me that they beg for me to blog about my extremely interesting life. I hope this will satisfy your hunger for my really fascinating thoughts.

Now, to the meat of this blog post. I spent this past December doing a revue called "Rewind" at my school. Most of you are probably wondering what a revue (and yes, this is the correct spelling) is. It's basically a show choir/solo/dance recital that is put on by the drama department at my school. I've done the revue ever since my freshman year, and it has always been one of my fondest memories of high school. I love it every year because, unlike other plays and musicals, I get to stand on stage and sing under my own name. I love the revue because I get to catch a glimpse into the hearts of my fellow drama nerds when they are not "in character." But I especially loved the revue this year. Not because the set list was any different, or the band was any better (even though it was), but because of the incredible company that I was blessed to have kept all throughout rehearsals and the show. 

Those of you that know me know that I have gotten a little emotional in my seniority. Don't even get me started on Toy Story 3. I was practically in a puddle on the floor after that movie... not my finest moment. After the Saturday night performance of the revue back in December, I was a basket case. The day after, I went into a state of deep depression- I listened to "Stop This Train" at least 20 times. So when I found out that we were going to perform Rewind again in January in front of the whole student body as an assembly during school, I was overjoyed! I was so excited to perform it one last time. 

Now, I had expected to be, once again, a basket case after the final performance of the show, but I surprised myself. I was totally fine. Singing my heart out, dancing with a smile on my face... just being on that stage performing my favorite show for the last time was so fulfilling. And on the final song, which of course had to be something sappy like "Over the Rainbow," I held hands with some of my oldest and best friends, some of whom I shared the stage with for the last time. And I was fine. 

So I guess the point of all this is to say, life goes on. After this week, I am beginning to feel a sense of acceptance. And for the longest time, I haven't been excited or ready to leave for college, but I'm getting there. I know that this is the next step in life, and, whether I am ready or not, I have to take it. So I might as well get used to the idea. And get excited while I am at it. Because, as cliche as it is, we're only young once. And I really do believe that college is going to be an incredible experience. Scary, but incredible. And when I get there, I'll be ready. But for now, I'm content being a high schooler, as lame as that may be.

"Certain things.. they should stay the way they are. You ought to be able to stick them in one of those big glass cases and just leave them alone. I know that's impossible, but it's too bad anyway."
Holden Caulfield, Catcher in the Rye



No comments:

Post a Comment