Sunday, February 20, 2011

It's clouds illusions I recall/ I really don't know clouds at all.

"I like to start my notes to you as if we're already in the middle of a conversation. I pretend that we're the oldest and dearest friends -- as opposed to what we actually are, people who don't know each other's names and met in an "Over 30" chat room where we both claimed we'd never been before. What will NY152 say today, I wonder. I turn on my computer, I wait impatiently as it boots up. I go on line, and my breath catches in my chest until I hear three little words: You've got mail. I hear nothing, not even a sound on the streets of New York, just the beat of my own heart. I have mail. From you."


Ahhh, what a perfect beginning to a perfect movie. I'd love to be Kathleen Kelly. I mean, who wouldn't? She lives in New York City, in the cutest apartment with the cutest clothes that would look absolutely frumpy on anyone else besides her. **Trendsetter alert** She owns a bookstore, shops at farmer's markets, loves Joni Mitchell, and reads Pride and Prejudice every year. Oh, and she totally had a mac before they were cool. Again with the trendsetting. I just wish I had her life. When I log into my AOL account, I expect to have about 5000 obnoxious notifications from facebook, not insightful words from a total stranger, although that would be loads better.

Another thing I love about Kathleen Kelly is her breakup with her long-time boyfriend Frank. I love the reason for their breakup. It's mature and it's realistic. It's simply because they don't love each other, which is ironic because on the surface, they are absolutely perfect for each other. And when Frank asks if there is someone else in her life, Kathleen responds with: "No. But there is the dream of someone else." Sigh.

Now, to the untrained and cynical eye, a couple that falls in love via emails may sound like an extremely shallow plot for talented actors like Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan to undertake. I mean, who hasn't scoffed at a couple that met on match.com or turned their nose up to a couple that only exists on facebook? Letters seem to be much more romantic and appealing than emails, but, somehow, this one works. Lord knows I love this movie. I've lost count of how many times I've seen it, and I am not ashamed to admit that I've actually watched it twice in one weekend. It's funny (with Tom Hanks, how could it not be??), romantic, and it just bleeds wisdom.
 
My favorite Kathleen quote... sometimes I really do think we have the same brain.


"Sometimes I wonder about my life. I lead a small life. Well, not small, but valuable. And sometimes I wonder, do I do it because I like it, or because I haven't been brave? So much of what I see reminds me of something I read in a book, when shouldn't it be the other way around? I don't really want an answer. I just want to send this cosmic question out into the void. So good night, dear void." 



Timeless.

It was fate.

If you haven't seen this movie, stop what you're doing and see it. Buy it, borrow it, steal it, whatever it takes. Cause it will change your life. Of that I have no doubt.
Clumsy.

1 comment:

  1. This is a lovely post Catie Marie, I adore those old Meg Ryan movies and You've Got Mail is one of my favourites.
    I hope you enjoy watching it for many years to come,

    ReplyDelete