Sunday, May 29, 2011

It is a truth universally acknowledged...

"The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid."
Jane Austen


Something else I've been doing this summer is reading. A ton. Like more than usual. I attribute this obnoxious amount of time spent reading to the obnoxious amount of time that I've spent at the beach this summer. Because, seriously, even people that don't like to read love to read at the beach. 



I've read two books recently that I wanted to recommend...


1. Out of the Silent Planet - C.S. Lewis.


Great book. Somewhat disturbing, extremely enlightening. It's about a man that is kidnapped by two scientists and brought to the far-off planet of Malacandra. To me, the book is about viewing our world from the eyes of another, viewing our ultimate depravity as a fallen species. It's not allegorical like so many of C.S. Lewis' books, but it has plenty of spiritual symbolism to satisfy you, if that's what you're looking for. If you read it, let me know. We'll talk, analyze, etc.


"'It is because they have no [God],' said one of the pupils. 'It is because everyone of them wants to be a little [God] himself,' said Augray. 'They cannot help it,' said the old sorn. 'There must be rule, yet how can creatures rule themselves? Beasts must be ruled by hnau and hnau by eldila and eldila by Maleldil. These creatures have no eldila. They are like one trying to lift himself by his own hair.'"


This quote probably won't make any sense to you if you haven't read the book, but it's basically saying that humanity generally tries to do things on our own, without God's assistance. We make ourselves into little gods, believing that we can handle things alone, and then we are confused when we are unable to succeed. 




2. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen (duh)


This novel is what this post is really all about. I've been itching to write about it.


There's really nothing to be said about Pride and Prejudice that hasn't been said already. To say that it's one of the most well-known, well-read books in all of literary history is an understatement. I read it for the first time last summer, and now I'm going to make it a tradition to read it every summer, just like so many have done before me. 


I'm not gonna lie, I didn't really like the book the first time I read it. I had seen the movie a thousand times, bought the soundtrack so when I read the book, it was out of a sense of obligation. I read it, checked it off my list, and moved on.


But, wow. 


The second time around..... fantastic


It was so good. I laughed out loud at Elizabeth Bennet, rolled my eyes at Kitty and Lydia, and wished that Mr. Darcy could be mine. It's full of wit, wisdom, feeling, love. It's the ultimate love story, because it's not simply fluff. It's about flirting and challenging the status quo; it's about a man being shy and appearing to be a tease; it's about a woman being picky about her husband; it's about an obnoxious mother wanting nothing but the best for her children.




"Elizabeth, having rather expected to affront him, was amazed at his gallantry; but there was a mixture of sweetness and archness in her manner which made it difficult for her to affront anybody; and Darcy had never been so bewitched by any woman as he was by her. He really believed, that were it not for the inferiority of her connections, he should be in some danger."



"In vain I have struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you."



"A girl likes to be crossed in love every now and then. It gives her something to think of."




"I cannot fix on the hour, or the spot, or the look or the words, which laid the foundation. It is too long ago. I was in the middle before I knew that I had begun."







I think it's safe to say that this book is one of my favorites.

Thank you, Miss Austen, for this work of art.

Clums.

No comments:

Post a Comment